Sunday, October 30, 2011

The Lodger: a story of the london fog

I have sat through half of the silent movie by Hitchcock, of The Lodger (his first film) which I came across on the Internet Archive. I should have read the comment, that told me the movie was incomplete. However, what I did see allowed me to reflect on the similarities and differences between the novel and the film. What struck me was how powerful music and symbolism is to achieve the drama and menace of the film. My preference is still for the novel. Film never seems to live up to the original book, as it is only one person's perspective versus the reader's perspective. For me, Hitchcock emphasized the romantic element too much and Mrs Bunting was nowhere near the character of the book...too much smiling!  It will be interesting to see if grade 9 students can sit through the entire movie with no text, or whether they will be squirming in their seats.

No comments:

Post a Comment